Community Connections and Volunteer Opportunties
Questions about these opportunities can be directed to Dr. Ruth Brown.
Follow us on Facebook and Instagram @UKHISPANIC for announcements about community events.
(last updated Summer 2022)
- La mesa de Español: Weekly free tutoring and conversation practice in Spanish with graduate students from the department of Hispanic Studies. Check @thespanishtableuky on Instagram for the schedule each semester.
- Hay Que Hablar: Intermediate conversation and cultural activities organized by students from Lewis Honors College. Follow @hayquehablaruk for meeting dates.
- Latino Student Union: Monthly meetings and other events are listed on the LSU website
Volunteer Opportunities in Lexington
- Village Branch Lexington Public Library tutoring program: After-school tutoring program for grades K-12. Focus is basic homework help: mostly reading and math. Volunteers are asked to commit at least 2 hours per week.
- Nathaniel Mission's Cardinal Valley After School program: This program, run by the Nathaniel Mission, provides mentoring, enrichment activities, and homework help for students at Cardinal Valley Elementary School. Contact: Casey Coyle email@example.com
- Common Good: This faith-based community after-school program welcomes volunteer mentors who can commit to volunteering one day a week for the school semester. The program meets from 2:30-6:30 Monday-Thursday. More information here: http://www.commongoodlex.org/after-school
- ESL and Spanish classes at the Lexington Public Libraries – are held at the Central library and other branches around town. http://www.lexpublib.org/events
Culture and Arts
- Casa de Cultura de Kentucky sponsors activities throughout the year. Find them on Facebook.
- FLACA: Foundation for Latin American and Latin Culture and Arts organizes the annual city Festival Latino each September and Friday Latino Live dancing downtown in the fall and spring. Find them on Facebook.
- The Salsa Center offers various classes and events related to Latin-style dancing.
- Village Branch of the Lexington Public Library off Versailles Road - this library hosts a variety of activities in Spanish.