Admissions & Financial Aid
ADMISSIONS & FINANCIAL AID
Applications are submitted online through the Apply Yourself system through the Graduate School
(click here to apply)
THE DEADLINE FOR RECEIPT OF APPLICATIONS IS JANUARY 30th.
Required application materials to be uploaded as PDF documents:
- Statement of purpose (500-750 words)
- Transcripts of all university academic coursework -- unofficial copies acceptable, official requested upon admission
- Academic writing sample in Spanish
- Three letters of recommendation
- Evidence of having taken the GRE exam -- no minimum score required -- official scores can be submitted after admission
- International applicants must have evidence of having taken the TOEFL exam. For the Graduate School, the minimum acceptable TOEFL score is 550 (paper-based) 213 (computer-based), or 79 (internet-based). Submitted scores must be no more than two years old.
The Graduate School offers a number of highly competitive non-service fellowships, listed here. The Department of Hispanic Studies employs its own graduates as teaching assistants, usually assigning two courses per semester for a base stipend ranging from $15,000 to $16,000. Assistantships are renewable for two years while completing the M.A. and for five years while completing the Ph.D.
Any questions about the program or the application process should be sent to:
Director of Graduate Studies
Department of Hispanic Studies
1125 Patterson Office Tower
Lexington, KY 40506-0027