Applications are submitted online through the Apply Yourself system through the Graduate School (Click Here to Apply). Information about the Graduate School application process is available here: Application Process
DEADLINE FOR RECEIPT OF APPLICATIONS IS JANUARY 25th.
Required application materials (to be uploaded as PDF documents):
- Statement of purpose in English or Spanish (500-750 words)
- Transcripts of all university academic coursework -- unofficial copies acceptable (official will be requested upon admission)
- Academic writing sample in Spanish
- Three letters of recommendation from university professors
- International applicants whose native language is not English must have evidence of English language proficiency, and can satisfy this requirement by submitting the following English language exam scores, which must be no more than two years old:
-TOEFL minimum score of 79 (internet-based), 213 (computer-based), or 550 (paper-based);
-IELTS minimum score of 6.5;
-Duolingo minimum score of 115.
International applicants who have previously completed a BA or MA degree in the United States do not need to submit English language exam scores unless the admissions committee has concerns about proficiency.In most cases, those being considered for acceptance will be asked to participate in a video-conference call as a means to measure English and Spanish oral proficiency.
- A Graduate Record Examination (GRE) score is NOT required to apply for and be accepted into the graduate program in Hispanic Studies; however, those students who wish to apply for certain non-departmental scholarships, grants, and fellowships that do require the GRE, may want to take it.
The Graduate School offers a number of highly competitive non-service fellowships, listed here. The Department of Hispanic Studies employs its own graduates as teaching assistants, usually assigning two courses per semester for a base stipend. Assistantships are renewable for two years while completing the M.A. and for five years while completing the Ph.D.
Any questions about the program or the application process should be sent to:
Director of Graduate Studies
Department of Hispanic Studies
1153 Patterson Office Tower
Lexington, KY 40506-0027