Alan V. Brown
Ph.D., Second Language Acquistion and Teaching, University of Arizona, 2006;
M.A., Spanish Teaching, Brigham Young University, 2001;
TESOL Graduate Certificate, 1999;
B.A., Spanish Teaching--Secondary Certification, Brigham Young University, 1998
On a personal level, I am the happy father of 4 young children [Grace (9), Ashton (7), Abigail (5), and Amanda (3)] and an even happier husband to my wife, Andrea! I enjoy riding my bike to school when the weather permits and pull out the volleyball, basketball, and tennis racket when time permits.
My research interests relate to the Spanish language classroom and curriculum, particularly issues concerning pedagogy and assessment. I have had articles appear in the Modern Language Journal, Hispania, Foreign Language Annals, and the Journal of Hispanic Higher Education. I have become quite interested in programmatic assessment and the role of letter grades in curriculum design, student placement, and course articulation as well as the relationship between proficiency and course grades. I recently had an article accepted for publication by Foreign Language Annals which analyzes the relationship between UK Spanish students' course grades and external measures of Spanish proficiency.
Areas of Specialty
- L2 Spanish language pedagogy
- L2 Spanish language assessment
- Second Language Acquisition
- Applied Linguistics
- Brown, A. (In press). Understanding the relationship between language performance and university course grades. Foreign Language Annals.
- Brown, A & Thompson, G. (2012). Interlanguage variation: The influence of monitoring and contextualization on L2 phonological production. Vigo International Journal of Applied Linguistics, 9, 107-132.
- Brown, A. (2012). Learning English on Her Own—Almost: The Facilitative Role of One Immigrant’s Daughter. Journal of Latinos and Education 11(4), 218-231.
- Brown, A. (2009). How Spanish teachers and their beginning-level university students perceive FL teaching practices—Ideally and Concretely. Hispania, 92(3), 550-566.
- Brown, A. (2009). Students’ and teachers’ perceptions of effective foreign language teaching: A comparison of ideals. Modern Language Journal, 93(1), 46-60.
- Brown, A. (2009). LCTL and CTL students: A demographic and academic comparison. Foreign Language Annals, 42(3), 405-423.